Performs non-skilled and skilled technical work in the maintenance, repair, modification and installation of specialized equipment, structures, fixtures in the water and/or wastewater system and any associated general construction.
Job InformationStatus: Open Job type: Full Time Salary: Grade 06 -- $10.96/hr - $15.37/hr (median) / Per Month
- Responsible for performing a variety of skilled and semi-skilled tasks in the construction, maintenance and repair of structures, equipment, machinery, and related apparatus at water and wastewater plants and lift stations
- Apply journeyman level skills in several trades, particularly of the mechanical, electrical, carpentry, masonry, and plumbing variety.
- Installs or replaces equipment and machinery; participates in major plant installations and equipment overhauls.
- Performs varied carpentry, painting, masonry, and other building maintenance tasks as required.
- Installs water and wastewater lines and performs other plumbing tasks.
- Operate various motorized equipment used in general construction, maintenance and repairs.
- Performs cleanup work after repairs are completed.
- Perform various assignments received by the Construction Foreman and Supervisor
- Independent judgment is exercised in accordance with established procedures and practices of the trade.
- Work is performed under limited to general supervision and is evaluated through observation and overall efficiency of duties performed.
Essential Job Requirements
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Experience in the common practices, tools, methods, and techniques used in the construction and mechanical trades.
- Experience as a journeyman preferably in construction, plumbing, electrical, etc.
- Experience in using basic hand tools and some large equipment
- Experience in the common practices, tools, methods, and techniques used in the mechanical and construction trades.
- Experience in operating heavy machinery utilized in maintenance and construction trades.
- Working knowledge of the functions of water and wastewater treatment plant equipment and operations
- Working knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions associated with the wastewater plant activities and chemicals.
- Working knowledge to detect and take appropriate action in the operation of water treatment equipment chemical feeds machines and other related equipment.
- Knowledge of the mechanical requirements associated with a water or wastewater treatment plant system.
- Knowledge of the principles of operation of pumps, motors, and related plant equipment.
- Must possess a valid Commercial driver’s license with tanker endorsements, if not then must be able to obtain within 3 months from date of hire.
- Must have experience in the common practices, tools, methods, and techniques used in the construction and mechanical trades.
- Must have Journeyman skills preferred-construction, plumbing, electrical, etc.
- Basic knowledge of standard practices, materials, tools, and equipment associated with the construction and mechanical trade
- General knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions associated with the work assignments proper remedial measures.
- Ability to operate heavy machinery utilized in maintenance and construction trades.
- Ability to detect malfunctions in the operation of mechanical equipment and to determine
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to understand and follow oral instruction and to interpret simple plans and sketches.
- Ability to understand and communicate policies, procedures, and services of the HWWS in order to make decisions in accordance with the fore mentioned and maintain accurate reports as necessary
- Ability to perform tasks quickly and accurately
Job placement contingent upon passing post-job-offer placement physical, drug screen, and background check.
Applications will be accepted on the proper form until 5 p.m. closing date.
The City of Harlingen Waterworks System is a Drug/Alcohol-Free Organization and an Equal Opportunity Employer
Closing date Until Filled