Performs unskilled to semi-skilled work in the installation, maintenance and repair of all water fixtures to include hydrants and water line valves throughout the HWWS. Assignments include mapping of existing water lines to facilitate the repair.
Job InformationStatus: Expired Job type: Full Time Years of experience: 2 Salary: Grade 06 -- $10.96/hr - $13.42/hr (median) / Per Month
- Responsible for assisting in the maintenance, installation, repair of leaks, breaks of all hydrants, water lines, valves, and sewer/water fixtures.
- Responsible for assisting in mapping all existing water line valves and tagging hydrant in the Waterworks System.
- Responsible for using necessary heavy equipment to perform job assignments
- Assignments often include the use of standard hand tools, the operation of power driven equipment, Company trucks or other equipment
- Work is evaluated through observation and efficiency of duties performed.
- Work is usually performed under immediate supervision.
Essential functions of the Job:
- Installs maintains, and repairs of breaks/leaks of all hydrants, taps, water mains, water fixtures, and water line valves in the HWWS using heavy equipment such as backhoe, air hammer, hydraulic valve machine, dump truck, or service truck. The use of this equipment will be done under the direct supervision of the Water Maintenance Supervisor.
- Assists in installing various pipe and fittings, water mains, fire services, tapping sleeves, valves, and water services.
- Involves working with all types of pipes and fittings such as but not limited to PVC, AC, C.S.S., ductile iron, tap saddles, valves, tapping sleeves (for fire service use, small and large tapping machines), clay pipe, fiberglass, and brick manholes.
- Performs skilled plumbing work in replacing or repairing old mains, meter services, and constructing new lines
- Assists in mapping and locating all existing water line valves in the Waterworks System. Will also need to expose utility services in order to prevent damage to utilities.
- Uses specialized equipment such as PDA’s, pressure and flow gauges, CL2 testing equipment
- Read prints, maps, uses measuring tape for various tasks, paints and tags fire hydrants
- Loads and unloads pipes and fittings in each storage area or work site, stocks and inventories unit, follows procedures and processes of assigned crew
- Work in and around sewer manholes as necessary, provides
- Assists in cleaning joints, gaskets, hauls spoils or backflow materials to and from work site and cleans up work area
- Performs other work as assigned
Essential Job Requirements
- Must Have High School Diploma or GED
- Some basic computer skills and customer service experience
- Experience in using basic hand tools and some large equipment
- Working knowledge of applicable traffic laws, ordinances, and regulations involved in maintenance and repair of water lines
- Must possess a valid Texas Driver’s License – CDL Class “B” preferred
- Must be able to read maps, blue prints, follow and maintain hydrant routes, use tape measure and maintain proper records
- Must be able to use PDA’s, Pressure and Flow Gauges, CL2 Equipment,
- Must have the skills and ability necessary to use the tools, equipment and heavy machinery associated with the job
- Must have a valid Texas Driver license in order to drive a company vehicle
- Must have ability to write legibly in order to write up daily information, work order requests, etc.
- Must be able to conduct basic mathematical calculations rapidly and accurately
- Must be able to follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to perform tasks quickly and accurately
- Must be able to work varying weather conditions on a daily basis
- Ability to understand and communicate policies, procedures, and services of the HWWS in order to make effective decisions
- Must be able to work independently and with minimal supervision
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions involved in the maintenance and repair of water lines, hydrant, and valves
Job placement contingent upon passing post-job-offer placement physical, drug screen, and background check.
Applications will be accepted on the proper form until 5 p.m. closing date.
The City of Harlingen Waterworks System is a Drug/Alcohol-Free Organization and an Equal Opportunity Employer
Closing date Until Filled