Perform supervisory and skilled work in the operation of equipment and the maintenance, repair, modification and installation of fixtures associated with the water distribution system. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Supervisor and is evaluated through conferences and overall efficiency of duties performed
Job InformationStatus: Open Job type: Full Time Job level: Mid level Years of experience: 2 Salary: Grade 11 -- $14.24/hr - $21.36/hr (median) / Per Month
- Responsible for training and supervising subordinate employees within a work crew; serve in a working supervisor capacity; responsible for the work of a crew engaged in the installation and maintenance of water mains, meters, valves and fire hydrants within the water distribution system as well as anticipates in rotation for standby.
- Responsible for operating and training employees on heavy equipment including a backhoe, trencher, boring machine and others.
- Responsible for prioritizing work schedules; independent judgment and initiative are required; courtesy, tact and firmness are required in dealing with public concerning required work.
- Tracks attendance and timecards.
- Assignments often include the use of standard hand tools, the operation of power driven equipment, Company trucks or other equipment
- Work is evaluated through observation and efficiency of duties performed.
- Work is performed on a on a standard 8-5 pm schedule with expected overtime and on a rotating stand-by schedule.
Essential functions of the Job:
- Oversee and participate in the operation of equipment such as backhoe, trencher, boring machine and other excavation equipment and tools.
- Oversee field operations of a crew engaged in the installation, maintenance and repair of water mains, meter, valves, and fire hydrants during regular and stand by assignments.
- Advise customers when interruptions in water service will occur; explain the nature of work using courtesy, tact and firmness.
- Oversee and maintain machinery/equipment to determine proper operation; and any necessary repairs/adjustments.
- Provide input to supervisor on crewmembers’ performance and evaluations.
- Maintains, prepares and submits time and attendance cards for staff members
- Ability to maintain inventory of trucks assigned to crew.
- Assists in instructing new employees in work methods and procedures
- Maintains work area.
- Perform related work as required/assigned within the Water Services Department
Essential Job Requirements
- High School Diploma or GED (required)
- Certification at an “A”, “B”, “C”, or “D” level in Surface Water or Distribution or ability to obtain within a set time depending on the license and experience level
- CDL Class “B” with Air Brakes and Tanker Endorsements upon hire or at the minimum must have CDL permit and the ability to obtain license within 3 months from hire date
- Considerable experience in the construction, maintenance, and repair of water mains and associated equipment.
- Considerable knowledge of hazards and safety precautions involved in water line maintenance work.
- Considerable knowledge of the materials, methods, tools and equipment employed in the construction, maintenance and repair of water distribution systems.
- Considerable knowledge of the safe operation and maintenance of moderate to heavy equipment and various other light power and hand tools.
- Effective work experience to train and supervise subordinates personnel and establishes and maintains effective
- Experience in establishing effective working relationships as necessitated by work assignments
- Some basic computer skills
- Some customer service experience
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Must possess a valid Texas Driver’s License
- Must have at least one year supervisory experience
- Must have the skills and ability necessary to use the tools, and equipment associated with the job such as, trencher, backhoe, excavator, etc.
- Must be able to conduct basic mathematical calculations rapidly and accurately
- Must be able to follow oral and written instructions
- Must be able to work varying weather conditions on a daily basis
- Must be able to work independently and with minimal supervision
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions associated with water plant chemicals and related activities.
- Ability to detect and take appropriate action in the operation of equipment and hand tools
- Ability to understand and communicate policies, procedures, and services of the HWWS in order to make decisions in accordance with the fore mentioned and maintain accurate reports.
- Ability to perform tasks quickly and accurately
- Working knowledge of applicable traffic laws, ordinances, and regulations involved in maintenance and repair of water lines
- General knowledge of geographical areas of neighborhood
- Ability to communicate in both English and Spanish in technical terms
Job placement contingent upon passing post-job-offer placement physical, drug screen, and background check.
Applications will be accepted on the proper form until 5 p.m. closing date.
The City of Harlingen Waterworks System is a Drug/Alcohol-Free Organization and an Equal Opportunity Employer
Closing date Until Filled