Performs specialized skilled work in the operation of motorized light to medium maintenance and construction equipment.
Job InformationStatus: Open Job type: Full Time Job level: All Years of experience: 5 Salary: Grade 08 -- $12.12/hr. - $16.16/hr (median) / Per Hour
Essential Job Requirements
- Responsible for the safe and efficient operation of moderately complex and specialized equipment used in connection with utility construction and maintenance projects.
- Operation of assigned equipment is normally a full time or predominate task, although other work may be performed.
- Assignments usually are received in the form of specific orders to accomplish a task and work is normally inspected in progress and upon completion.
- Variety of equipment may include: Backhoe, vacuum truck/vacuum excavators, front-end loader, boring machine, pneumatic piercing tools, excavator, pipe saws, jackhammer, boom truck, trencher, tapping machine, dump truck, and compressors etc.
Essential Job Requirements
- Backhoe, vacuum truck/vacuum excavators, front-end loader, boring machine, pneumatic piercing tools, excavator, pipe saws, jackhammer, boom truck, trencher, tapping machine, dump truck, and compressors, utility truck and other misc. equipment used to excavate trenches/ditches for the locating, installation and repair of water mains and services.
- Open trenches for installation of water lines, water services, fire services and fire hydrants, pipe and fittings.
- Assist in connecting and repairing lines and backfilling trenches and leveling when repairs are completed.
- Assist in the preparation and loading and unloading pipes, fitting, valve fire hydrants etc. at work sites.
- Assist Water Maintenance Technician when not operating equipment
- Assist in the placement, set up/ takedown of all traffic control devices
- Performs preventative maintenance on equipment.
- Perform related work as required/assigned
- High School Diploma or GED (PREFERRED)
- At least 5 years’ experience in the operation of assigned equipment PREFERRED
- Combination of training and experience that will provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities
- Some basic computer skills
- Some customer service experience
- Experience in using basic hand tools
- “C” Water Distribution License preferred, if not, must obtain within two years of assignment
- CDL Class “B” with Air Brakes and Tanker Endorsements, completed within three months of hire, written testing completed before hire
- Must possess a valid Texas Driver’s License
- Must be able to operate assigned equipment
- Must be able to read maps, blueprints, follow and maintain hydrant routes, use tape measure, and maintain proper records.
- Must have the skills and ability necessary to use the tools, equipment and heavy machinery associated with the job.
- Must be able to work varying weather conditions daily
- Must have some knowledge of the maintenance requirement of assigned equipment
- Working knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions involved in the operation of assigned equipment
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to perform tasks quickly and accurately
- Ability to understand and communicate policies, procedures, and services of the HWWS to make decisions in accordance with the fore mentioned.
- Ability to operated motorized equipment safely in confined areas, roadways, and alleys etc.
- Ability to operate motorized equipment safely around structures such as: buildings, fences etc.
- Ability to operate motorized equipment safely around utilities such as: gas lines, power lines and phone cables etc.
- General knowledge of geographical areas of neighborhood
- Ability to communicate in both English and Spanish in technical terms
Job placement contingent upon passing post-job-offer placement physical, drug screen, and background check.
Applications will be accepted on the proper form until 5 p.m. closing date.
The City of Harlingen Waterworks System is a Drug/Alcohol-Free Organization and an Equal Opportunity Employer
Closing date Until Filled